Thursday, April 8, 2010

Outreach

The other night I was doing a bit of AAGC outreach. It was actually not outreach at all but I was among friends and initiated conversations about guns. At one point, I got the sense that some friends might have thought the discussion bordered on bad security culture. I could have just been projecting but it made me think about when/if guns, gun laws, and training are safe topics to discuss among friends in public areas.
I used to worry about this and refrain from such discussions. However, I realized that this did nothing except keep my strong belief that people need to be armed for self-defense and community defense closeted. The entire reason I made the push to learn more about firearms and related topics and then contribute to AAGC was to share knowledge/information/skills and equally important- to demystify firearms and who owns them. We still need to be safe and aware but pretending we are underground militia members or that possessing guns should be hidden will not help get more people comfortable around firearms, possessing firearms, and trained in how to use them. It is all of that which we need.

who wants stickers?

No comments:

Post a Comment